Brinnertime! I love breakfast foods. Whether I’m eating them for breakfast, brunch, or dinner, it’s all good in my book. So I decided to make myself some french toast, one of my all time favorite breakfast foods, for dinner. To make it a little less indulgent, I used egg whites, whole wheat whole grain bread, and some agave nectar. Check out the recipe below.
1/2 cup of egg whites
1 large egg
1 tsp of almond extract (I got mine from TJ Maxx but you could also find it at Publix, Trader Joes, or Walmart)
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tsp of cinnamon
3 slices of whole grain whole wheat bread (I used Peppridge farm)
1 banana, large (sliced into 18 pieces)
1. Whisk the egg and egg whites in a bowl
2. Add the vanilla and almond extract.
3. Pre-coat a glass baking dish with cooking spray.
4. Dip a slice of bread in the batter and add six pieces of sliced banana on top, sprinkling on some cinnamon.
5. Repeat step 4, with the other two slices.
6. Pour any leftover batter on top of the bread.
7. Cover with saran wrap first, and then aluminum foil.
8. Let sit in the fridge overnight or for 6-8 hours.
9. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes (Tip: It’ll probably work better if you un-layer the three slices of bread for more even and faster cooking).
10. Take out of the oven, let cool for 5 minutes, and drizzle on some agave nectar.
You can serve it with egg whites and chicken sausage like I did or whatever you’d prefer.
|P.S. That’s sparkling pomegranate juice from Trader Joe’s;) You should try it!
I hope you’re enjoying a beautiful lazy Sunday!