Oh my goodness guys, have I got a treat for you. So a couple of weeks ago after my first day at work, my sister and I went out to a Mexican restaurant for dinner. I ordered this unbelievable seafood quesadilla with tilapia and shrimp and it has been on my mind since. While delicious, I know that it probably wasn’t the healthiest so I set out to make a much healthier but equally yummy version. I’m pretty sure I succeeded. Without further ado I present to you my seafood quesadilla made with jerk tilapia and jerk shrimp, goat cheese, diced red onions, low-fat part skim mozzarella, fresh mangos, and a tiny bit of fresh marinated mozzarella. As usual this dish was pretty quick to make, but oh so incredibly good. It’s my favorite concoction thus far. It’s perfect for my spicy food lovers, my vegetarian friends, and meat-eaters too. Pretty much everyone!
2lb bag of individually wrapped tilapia fillets (I only made 5; the bag has about 10 or so)
1 container pre-diced red onions
Grace Jerk seasoning, spicy (from Walmart)
Low-fat Part skim mozzarella
La Tortilla High Fiber Low Carb Whole Wheat Tortillas (from Publix)
Fresh marinated mozzarella (from Trader Joe’s)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray pan with non-stick canola oil
- While the oven is preheating take 1 tablespoon of jerk seasoning and evenly apply to each tilapia fillet (I cooked 5 at once, but feel free to cook as many as you like and adjust cook times accordingly).
- After all of the fillets are covered sprinkle on 1 tablespoon of diced red onions in the center of each fillet.
- Drizzle on olive oil over each fillet (about 1 teaspoon).
- Place fillets in the oven for about 25-30 minutes.
- While the tilapia is baking, remove the tails from shrimp.
- Pour the shrimp into a bowl along with three hearty teaspoons of jerk seasoning and mix together (I used my hands).
- Cook shrimp stovetop for 7-10 minutes at medium-high heat.
- While your shrimp is cooking slice and dice your mango into small cubes and set aside in a bowl.
- Once the tilapia and shrimp are done cooking, begin assembling your quesadilla.
- Cut up one tilapia fillet and take several pieces of shrimp and add them on your tortilla wrap.
- Then add two teaspoons of diced onions, two tablespoons of goat cheese, 1/4 cup of low-fat part skim mozzarella, two tablespoons of diced mangos, and a small chunk of fresh marinated mozzarella (I didn’t measure this but it was probably no more than a tablespoon’s worth).
- Place your open faced tortilla in the oven for 3-5 minutes (or until cheese begins to melt)
- Take out, fold over and slice in half.